Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mecom Fountain

I went out this morning to try out my new variable neutral density filter. I shot this image of the Mecom Fountain in front of the old Warwick Hotel (...now the Zaza Hotel) in Houston.

This was shot with a Canon 5D Mark II on a tripod with a 24-105 mm f/4L zoom telephoto lens set at 24 mm and the camera set at f/22, ISO 100, and Tv= 1.0, 0.5, and 0.3 for three images. These images were combined into an HDR with Photomatix, then edited in Photoshop CS4.

The varying shutter speeds were accomplished in Av mode by darkening the variable ND filter over three successive shots. Based on the histogram on a couple of initial trial shots, the auto-exposure Ev was set at -0.33.

Autofocus can be a problem with a dark ND filter, so I focused on the lower edge of the fountain in autofocus with the ND filter opened up, then I switched to manual focus and left the focus the same for all three shots.

-CGTTL