Sunday, October 11, 2009

Morning Prayers

I shot this image very quietly from the back of a small chapel in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris in 2007.

It was shot in available light from a small tripod with a Canon 20D (1.6 crop factor) and an EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0 IS USM lens set at 17 mm, f/4, ISO 400, and exposed for 1/6 sec.

Because of dynamic range issues, I've never edited it until recently, when I finally used Photomatix Pro 3 to produce this three-image HDR version. Detailed edits of the HDR image in CS4 included skew transform and barrel distortion corrections, and adjustment layers for selective desaturation, selective black/white, selctive local brightness and contrast, selective vibrance , selective sharpening, and a dark vignette.

The challenge was to capture this image without intruding on the moment and without being disrespectful of the circumstances. As far as I could tell, I wasn't noticed by anyone.

-CGTTL