Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mecom Fountain Revisited - Some More

Here's another try at improving the composition on the Mecom Fountain image I posted on August 26.

I re-shot it yesterday with very bright overcast skies in the early afternoon. It's a three-image HDR shot at 24 mm through a Singh-Ray Variable ND filter set at about 90% of maximum opacity.

I shot it at 24 mm with a full-frame sensor, so the original images had lots of wide-angle lens distortion. To get all the buildings standing up straight, I used Edit>Tranform>Skew and Edit>Transfrom>Scale in CS4 to get the vertical lines looking vertical.

I like this composition, but I'm about to decide using HDR and variable ND filters in combination is not my favorite look. Not in this kind of flat light, anyway. One or the other with a more interesting sky and a later or earlier time of day may be the ultimate answer.

Stay tuned.

-CGTTL